All employees at pixiv Inc. are required to relocate and work in our office in Shibuya, Tokyo.
We understand that newly-hired foreign employees will be facing many questions and doubts about working in a foreign land with a different lifestyle and cost of living. We have compiled this guide to give you an idea on what to expect if hired by pixiv.
- Travel expenses：Pay at your own expense
- Visa application fees：Paid by company
- Initial staying fees：Pay at your own expense
- House expenses：Pay at your own expense
- Living Expenses：Pay at your own expense
TRAVEL TO JAPAN
Most foreign employees will need to travel to Japan by plane, which will cost around 100,000 to 200,000 yen to fly to Japan depends on your nation of origin. We do not provide assistance with travel expenses.
pixiv Inc. will cover your Visa application fees.
There may be cases where you’ll experience hiccups when applying for Visa due to the lack of necessary documents. When that happens, we will request all the necessary documents from your side and we will handle the rest once you reach Japan. Though troublesome, you will most likely come to Japan with a travel or temporary visa until you receive the certificate of eligibility from the immigration department, which would require at least 2 weeks of wait.
Recently, due to the implementation of the new foreigner visa system, you will most likely obtain your Alien Registration Card (which equals your identity card in Japan) at your local Japanese embassy before coming to Japan. This will make the visa application process easier and ensure your validity as a foreign resident in Japan.
Due to the nature of our expertise, foreign engineers will receive a 3 years visa period. However, all future expenses regarding the visa renewal will be on your own.
INITIAL ACCOMMODATION FEES
Though it depends on individual, we recommend you prepare at least 100,000 to 200,000 yen for your initial hotel or guest house expenses. Once you arrive in Japan, you will have to stay in a guest house or hotel, depending on your preference, until you’ve completely settled down with a valid Alien Registration Card and a bank account. You are expected to handle these costs at your own expense.
Depending on your preference, your initial apartment rental fees could cost you around 300,000 to 500,000 yen in total due to deposit, key money, and other payments. You will settle your rental fees accordingly after signing the rental contract with your estate agent.
While it depends on your location and your room preference, the following is a rough estimate of initial apartment fees:
- Deposit money：1 to 2 months rent (pay only once, and money will be returned when you leave)
- Key money：1 to 2 months rent (pay only once)
- Fire Insurance：20,000 yen (pay only once)
- Key change fee：20,000 yen (pay only once)
- Brokerage fee：1/2 to 1 month of rent (pay only once)
- Guarantor company fee：1 to 2 months of rent (pay only once)
- Rent for the first month ：1 month of rent plus partial rent by the end of that month
- Contract renewal fee：Usually the same amount as Key money (If you decide to renew the contract after 2 years)
For example, you’ve decided to rent an apartment for 100,000 yen per month, excluding utilities such as electricity or water. Including deposits and rental fees, the initial amount required will be around 400,000 yen in total.
To lessen the burden of living in one of the special wards of Tokyo, pixiv Inc. offers the “Yoyogi Five System”, in which staff members who live within a certain distance away from the company will receive an amount of stipend to assist with higher costs of living closer to the office.
The benefits provided are as follows:
- Within 800m away from pixiv Inc. – 50,000yen stipend provided per month
- Within 2500m away from pixiv Inc. – 30,000yen stipend provided per month
- Further than 2500m away from pixiv Inc. – 15,000yen transportation allowance
※Things to note:
- Some rental agencies may allow a smaller rental deposit. (e.g. Zero key money)
- It will take a minimum of 2 weeks to complete the registration process.
（Find an apartment→Set up a meeting→Apply→Get briefed on important stuff→Go through guarantor company review→If pass, sign contract→Initial payment→House moving）
- Unfortunately, you may not have many options when it comes to renting an apartment as a foreigner due to language barriers.
(Some estate agents may refuse to provide rental service to foreigners.)
- Furniture will NOT be provided. Though some estates do provide furniture, but such offers are rare. Depending on what you need, you may be required to buy tables, bed, futon, fridge, washing machine, and so on.
- You are required to work for the first 1.5 months before getting your salary. However, we may lend you money to compensate your lifestyle temporarily, which you are required to speak to the Corporate Manager of pixiv for details.
In addition to rental costs, other general expenses such as good, clothing, utilities, and transportation in Japan usually range from 100,000 to 200,000 yen, depending on your lifestyle and needs.